Monday, August 8, 2011

Little girls.... sugar and spice..

Yesterday I was a little testy as anyone who checked the posting would know.  Little girls in the house is quite a unique experience.  I once had two little girls in my house but they were accompanied by two little boys and a whole mess of other kids. 

But,  two little girls in the house changes things.  Changes where your hair brush is, or your favorite lip gloss.  Changes where you might find your shoes, their shoes, or any other piece of clothing. 

Changes how you might watch television, or what music you might listen to.  Now I like Taylor Swift but enough is enough.  Changes what you might eat.

Yesterday the 6 year old blondie had a melt down.  I admit I had NO IDEA how to deal with it.  All I wanted was a little cooperation with getting things ready for mommy's return (yahoo!!!)  But she decided to cry loudly with her head under a pillow, wrapped in a blanket and screaming something about not wanting to pick up toys and something about wanting her sister's ball cause she didn't like the color of hers.  I believe there was a list of other things but I really couldn't understand all the words, screams, and sobs mixed together.  (Was I once able to understand this kind of language??)

I sat on the bed and was perplexed.  Then I realized what the problem was.... Breakfast and lunch.  Little blondie had a bowl of sugar marshmellows for breakfast and a bowl of sweet applesauce for lunch.  I usually pay closer attention to her diet, but not yesterday.  When I had this revelation I fixed up a peanut butter sandwich and a glass of milk and asked her if she would eat it. 

She immediately stopped the weird sob,scream, words and ate.

And GLORY BE she was a changed child.  Within 30 minutes the room was picked up and she was sweetly chatting coherently. 

So all this "sugar and spice and everything nice"  is just a bunch of hooey.  Little blondies need PROTEIN to maintain their sweet demeanor. 

No more marshmallows and applesauce.  Now it is MEAT, BEANS, anything with protein. 

No comments:

Post a Comment